Research Project

The artist I decided to pick was Jamel Shabazz who is actually a photographer. He is also a family friend. Shabazz specialized in “fine art, fashion, and documentary photography whose work has been seen in solo exhibitions around the world. He is known for his love of documenting culture and history through photographs”. 

But he most photographed 80s and 90s fashion he saw around his neighborhood. I’m inspired by Shabazz because he took basic pictures of friends and family and turned them into master art pieces which is my future career goal (to become a kids and family photographer).

Shabazz is mostly known for his photography books which consists of “street style photographs” which displayed hip-hop culture and were published between the years 1980 and 1989. Majority of his work was shot in New York City where he was born and raised. His work contains photographs taking over the course of 40 years. His most recognized pieces are from his book called Last Sunday in June which consists of photos from different gay pride events in NYC.

“Jamel Shabazz was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. At the age of fifteen, he picked up his first camera and started to document his peers”. He was inspired by the African American community he grew up in. Over the years Shabazz has been a volunteer art teacher, teaching in places such as “Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, Bronx Museum’s Teen Council youth program, International Center of Photography, Friends of the Island Academy and Studio Museum in Harlem’s Expanding the Walls Project”.

Based on the work I have seen by Shabazz he is the type of photographer I aspire to be. The fact that he photographs people in this neighborhood in their everyday lives is simple yet entertaining to see how different people actually are. Friends and family are the most beautiful piece of art you can have. Capturing their glow and happiness is the best reward you can have. Yet capturing their pain can be a reward but also an insight of what they are going through. And I think Shabazz does that very well

Cited Work

Read more about Jamel Shabazz in The Gordon Parks foundations and in The World Photography Organization.