Introduction

Hi, my name is Dwynette Distin, my transition into Professional Nursing has been an adventurous one. In spring of 2004 I began my nursing career at New York City College of Technology, and this was where my journey into nursing really begins. Nursing school was not a bed of rose for me, balancing work, my relationship, and school. I presently work on a Medical Surgical unit at Kings County Hospital for the past five years; this is my first and only experience. This has not been easy, even though, failures may arise, as far back as I can recall, I have been running into numerous trials and tribulations that had to be resolved before I was able to progress further, I no longer see them as such, I now see them as chances that allows me to pick myself up and learn a little more on the way, to achieve my goals, that is the reason why I am in pursuit of achieving my Bachelors in Nursing. Since in this program, I have come to realize that the BSN courses really extended upon what I learned throughout my Associate Degree.
While I do have several goals as a nurse one much defined one is to continue to care for adult patients in a primary care or specialty care unit. I specifically see myself providing care and advocacy to the most vulnerable and needy in my local community in whatever way I can. I have been open-minded and challenged to expand my experience of nursing.
Over the years the nursing profession has had the potential to make changes in the health care system. Most of us as nurses have great potential to lead and innovate in order to improve the health care system. An area of interest as pointed out in the course outline objective which is of great importance to me, is completion of this course will enable me to better analyze the importance of collaboration with clients , support persons and health care team in achieving their goals. As nurses I believe that in order to improve the health care system, nurses need to achieve higher education, work well with physicians and other health care professionals and be able to make effective work changes. I believe that an advance education and preparation will help me adapt to new roles quickly in response to the rapidly changing health care settings, even though this may not be convincible for some nurse because they are set in their old ways. Moreover, nurses are now called upon to make critical decisions, handle life saving technology and handle complex information therefore, with an advance education current and future nurses will be able deliver safe, quality, patient centered care in all settings. I believe that as health care professionals working well together, while including the client, families, and physicians and other organizations will transmit as sense of completeness.
One particular reason why this objective is of interest to me is that often time’s patient health has been jeopardized due to lack of collaboration in the work place. For example significant vitals signs got missed by nurses because the PCT forgot to point them out to the nurse. Furthermore, a coordinated environment will make improvement overtime and increase patient centered care. With the knowledge of organizational work polices and evidence based practice working together as health care givers, with all departments we will create a better outcome for the client in our care.
As mentioned in the text Professional Issues in Nursing, there are many factors that can lead to the current nursing job shortages, but I will discuss workplace dissatisfaction which results in high turn over and nurses leaving the profession. Many studies have shown that because of long shifts, mandatory overtime and inadequate staffing enough time is not spent with direct patient care resulting in dissatisfaction at the workplace. Nurses that have negative feelings about their jobs and work organizations are more likely to leave their job to look for work elsewhere. An organization commitment develop from job satisfaction, will in turn influence employees decisions to remain longer on the job, for example, modifying job and pay structure, employees who receive promotions or pay raises are more likely to stay longer in their positions. Since it is very costly to recruit and orient new nurses Company’s can invest more money into new and improved programs, resulting in much happier employees.
Because hospitals across the country are encountering shortage of nurses I believe that it is reasonable to use the approach of importing foreign nurses in spite of the cost and immigration issues. Nurses play a vital role in providing overall care and treatment to patients, therefore it should not matter if they are imported or not. When facilities do not have adequate staffing the patients and the nurses suffer. In addition to the shortages America is facing, nurses are becoming increasingly stressed and over work. At the same time, the patient care is declining. Moreover, nurses born during the baby boom period are now thinking of retirement which will result in the increase of retirement years to come. I believe that the importation of nurses will make a difference in the shortage of nurses in the next fifteen to twenty years resulting in better outcome for the patients as long as all the necessary justifications are considered.