Eporfolio Self Reflection Constancia Smith RN

This is a self-reflection of how I achieved each community health nursing objective that allowed me to first and foremost now begin to really love my profession and has helped my grow as a professional nurse in the community setting. I learned that being responsible; being a teacher and also being able to take constructive criticism have to me showed me what a community nurse really is.

Objective # 1
Demonstrate individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance
The way that I maintained patient’s privacy in my clinical rotation was to utilize the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). I never shared personal information about any of these clients to any individual unless they are within the health care team of this patient. Being punctually at all clinical meeting dressing in the appropriate dress code of dark pants and white bottom was a must on my to do list for each clinical day . I prepared for my clinical learning each by always researching my patient’s diagnosis and trying to find new ways in which I can teach my patients. I sought guidance appropriately by always asking my clinical instructor for any concerns that I may have or even asking the manager of the facility for further guidance. I actively participated in each conference of clinical by first being g an attentive listener then also by asking as much questions about anything that I feel needed any further clarification. I also participated in our open discussion at post conference. All of my assignment were all submitted before the deadline and were all very clear and informative.

Objective # 2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting

During my clinical rotation we were unable to participate in administering medications and treatment safety, we also were unable to complete a physical assessment of selected patients. We did however teach patient about medication administration , assess the impact of development , emotional, cultural, religious and spiritual influences on the client health status by first reading the chart to find out vital information regarding this patient health history any using this information to further assess this patient I also was culturally sensitive to the many cultures I am surrounded. I always collected significant data relevant to patients individual needs such as for example making sure my patient was able to tell me if she ate breakfast that morning so I can inform the dietician at the clinical site her needs in nutritional value that particle Wednesday class. As nurse critical thinking is a major portion of our profession and I believe that it is vital to incorporate that in our daily work ethic as we continue in our profession.

Objective # 3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.

– During each clinical we interacted with these client sand in each meeting communication was an important part of our dialogue with the patients, I found myself always communicating significant data to my instructor and to the health care team when my patient shared to me for example that she didn’t eat breakfast, by communicating this my patient was given breakfast so that her sugar remained stable. I have always tried to have a therapeutic communication between myself and my patient, this had eventually led me to gain trust from my patient. My patient also spoke a different language so special considerations were used such as the “interpreter phone” for us to communicate effectively.

Objective #4: Establish environment conductive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.
Throughout this course I was able to use a teaching plan that was implemented when I did my presentation for pain management. The environment was conducive to learning because I made sure that I eliminated all distractions such as noise, proper lighting was used, and patients were all giving written material that keeps them focused on learning about how to manage the pain more effectively. Clients were able to ask questions for further clarification and that’s how I would have evaluated to see if these patients had a positive learning outcome.

Objective#5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community
Unfortunately at my clinical site I was unable to utilize informational technology when managing my patients and families in their communities because there were no online records for me to do. But at home in my spare time I was able to look up my patient’s diagnosis and find information that will help me for next week’s class.

Objective #6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development
During this clinical rotation I have become more interested in community nursing I have subscribed to nursing spectrum, advance nursing and nursing today magazines to help me keep updated. I also am committed to this profession because nursing is more than just a job for me this is my life. I really have a love for caring for individuals. Also I am a member of the American nurse association which I and fully committed to and make yearly contributions to help the organization financially.
Objective # 7: Incorporates professional nursing standard and accountability into practice
– I maintained this objective by always working within my scope of practice as a nurse; I also mirror my care on my patients by following the American nurse association standards in clinical practice. Speaking with my professor at every clinical to make sure I’m giving care according to the daycare policy’s.
Objective# 8: Collaborate with clients, significant support person and members of the health care team
– We had an open discussion with a two nurses at the adult daycare these nurses were talking to us about the different interventions that were used in different situations for each client. We asked questions and received feedback whether right or wrong on how they would intervene in certain situations. I also collaborated with the social workers, nurse practitioners, and nurse’s aide. This collaboration will lead to any one of these clients in living the healthiest life possible.
Objective#9: Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.
During my walk through this is where I was able to see the major impact that low income, low education, and a poor support group and how this can affect the delivery of health care services. This breaks my heart because as I did my walk through I realized how important healthcare is for every community. Prevention is needed but as community nurses we are going to have to be the stepping stone to teach this ever growing and culturally diverse group of people. I’m hoping to eventually open teaching spots where we can educate people in my community about the importance of health care with financial aid help, this I believe will traumatically aid in the increase of care for my community