Kids Smile Day

KIDS SMILE DAY

Our annual Kids Smile Day was held in February, 2013. It was much anticipated as we felt that we would have been overwhelmed by so many kids flocking our lounge. As it happened they were chaperoned by their teachers who did a great job of keeping them in check. Sometimes in our quest for patients we do forget about these little people, so that it was very enriching to have them in our dental chairs. Some of them were excited and eager, bursting with energy while others were quiet and timid. Their medical histories were prefilled and we proceeded to chat a bit, do extra and intraoral exams, count their teeth and eventually did a prophylaxis and fluoride treatment.
Personally, it reminded me of my years of experience treating this age group in Trinidad. I was a Dental Nurse there and it was my job to treat the nations’ children between the ages of 21/2 yrs – 12 years old. After that their treatment was continued by the Dentist. I did simple extraction of deciduous teeth, restored primary and permanent teeth, sealants, prophylaxis and fluoride application. I really began feeling nostalgic and remembered the warm smiles, hugs and thank you from these children when they showed their appreciation for a job well done. I hope that wherever dental hygiene takes me that these little people would be part of my prospective clientele.