Law In Culture Review

“Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” is a 2019 crime drama film directed by Joe Berlinger and starring Zac Efron as Ted Bundy. The film is based on the real-life tale of Ted Bundy, a well known serial killer who murdered women in the 1970s. This movie is told from the perspective of Bundy’s devoted girlfriend, Elizabeth Kloepfer, played by Lily Collins. At the start of the film, Elizabeth is portrayed as a single mother struggling to make ends meet, where she meets the so-called charming and charismatic Bundy. These two start off in a relationship, but as the story develops, Bundy’s true nature starts to gradually get revealed. Despite accumulating evidence that Bundy is accountable for a series of brutal murders, Elizabeth finds it hard to accept the truth about him, holding on to the belief that he is innocent. The film recounts Bundy’s trial and eventual conviction, as well as the impact it takes on both Elizabeth and Bundy’s victims. As the film progresses, Efron presents a chilling portrayal as Bundy, capturing both his charisma and his twisted nature. The film also explores the media frenzy engulfing Bundy’s case and the ways in which he manipulated public perception.”Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” does indeed touch on some legal concepts, particularly in its portrayal of Bundy’s trial and the court proceedings that follow. The film portrays the role of lawyers in the legal system, including the ethical obligations of defense attorneys to provide an effective defense for their clients. Throughout the film, Bundy is depicted as a conniving and charismatic individual who is able to charm his way out of challenging situations. This is particularly noticeable in his interactions with his defense attorney, played by John Malkovich, who is shown struggling with his own conscience as he attempts to present Bundy with the best possible defense. The film additionally touches on the function of the media in shaping public perception of Bundy’s case, and the ways in which this influenced the result of his trial. It portrays the media and news as a powerful factor in shaping public opinion, and indicates that this can sometimes work against the purposes of justice. Yet, overall, while “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” is primarily a biographical drama rather than a legal drama, it does emphasize some essential legal concepts and provides some understanding into the processes of the court system and the role of lawyers in defending their clients. My reaction was honestly just absurd shock. I couldn’t fathom how one person can have multiple sides to them. It made me think about how we don’t really know anyone around us, we would like to believe people around us are never capable of such vile actions but we never really know what someone around us is hiding behind our backs. Also, this film made me reflect on how we give these people such a big platform and importance after crimes they have committed, should we even be giving these crimes this much attention? It almost makes it seem as if we are appreciating what occurred instead of reflecting upon it. Many people look up to these serial killers sadly and try to imitate them. I was so disappointed in Bundy, he is such wasted potential. Bundy was book smart when he was in law school, one couldn’t help but wonder where Bundy would have been in life had he not done these wrongdoings and been who he is regarded as today. I wouldn’t say anything “accurately” portrays the legal field since it is such a broad field. I would definitely say that this film represents a good example that had occurred in the legal field that is well known since this is a very well-known serial killer and case. I would recommend this film to anyone interested in true crime. The manner Bundy is portrayed in this film is genuinely skin crawling and will leave you thinking. I would say this movie has influenced my view of the law, and my interest in the legal occupation since it made me think about the psychological aspect of these serial killers and murderers. How can a guy that looks so ordinary to the public that is in law school commit such a repugnant crime and get away with it for so long, as well as persuade people to be on his side? This goes to show that with good persuasion it’s almost as if you can get anyone on your side as long as you have a good argument. That sometimes justice is almost played with and tricked depending on how good the arguments presented in defense to what the plaintiff had brought in.