Music

Playlists

The pre show playlist plays before the show, when the audience is coming in. Nelson specifically requested that each song on this playlist contains the word magic, trick or illusion.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2cLJnf0ht4UaAtQNlkupFp?si=643d9ee29c42484f

The reference playlist for this project is made of songs from the podcast This American Life, the reference that Nelson requested. I browsed through different composers that have been credited on the podcast and narrowed my playlist down to pieces that I enjoyed listening to, that I thought would fit in a magic show, and that I thought were in a style that I could replicate.

Music from the show

Each song I made for the show is actually a short loops with 3 to 4 different sections. Since we didn’t know how long each trick would be, and since the length of the magic tricks would most likely change depending on the audience participation, I decided to create songs that could be looped indefinitely and faded out when the trick ends.

Comic book song: fun, upbeat, childhood memories

Seven deck repeat: choir sample, crossfades with Torched and Restored music

Torched and Restored: samples zippo sounds as percussions because Nelson is using a lighter for this trick

Silk to egg: Spotlight moment for Nelson, originally had a different song planned but was able to repurpose this song instead as it fit the trick better

Soundscape: Ritualistic afro cuban drum soundscape

9×11 board: Last trick of the show, repurposed a song sampling glass bottles as instruments and percussions

Other songs

Floating ball: Orchestral, feeling of winning a race, did not make it in the show

Silk to egg: Original song for silk to egg, did not like the mix or how muddy it sounded in the theatre, did not make it in the show