Philosophy

I believe I was called to nursing. Even though I choose nursing as my career path and because of my love of helping others, I think nursing ultimately choose me because it saw the heart I have, the passion I carry and the care I possess.
     I believe in caring for someone no matter their race, religion or sexual orientation, their job, socioeconomically status, criminal history and world views even if it differs from what I believe personally when I put on my white and step in the nurse’s role, the ultimate goal is give medical and other attention to the sick or infirm by providing safe and evidence based practices.
     Nursing is important because they are the first line of defense, the first solider in combat, the one that feels the most hurt and the one that sees the most change. Even though you are told not to get attached to the patients that you treat, if you are a nurse it is almost impossible to not grown fond for and want the best for someone you have been taking care of for more than one day.
      I believe in advocating for my patients especially when they are not able to advocate for themselves, treat them not only as their diagnosis but as a human being. Paying attention to the overall condition of the patient, taking into consideration their cultural, spirituality, personally and religious values and belief. Advocating for patients wishes, respecting their judgments while giving advice without overstepping.https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/cmcfarlane-eportfolio/wp-admin/post.php?post=15&action=edit
      As Jean Watson suggests establishing a caring relationship with patients while showing them unconditional acceptance. Nurses should be using a holistic treatment approach, one that includes treating the mind, soul, and spirit as well as the body. Spend uninterrupted time with patients and their loved ones, providing something Watson calls “caring moments.” Promoting optimal health through knowledge and intervention.
     We should work as a collaborative team to continuously improve the health and well-being of ourselves and the community. We should continually strive to improve and keep up to date on the information and knowledge embarked upon us. We should strive to be certified in the area that we specialize in. We should strive to be the best in our department and discipline. We should achieve to be masters in the area of our focus, strive to have our patients end result be the best possible outcome. We should practice what we teach and always under all circumstances put our patients first.
     I believe nursing makes a difference in the every little things we do in life just by the way in which we talk to others while in our personal life, no matter what role we play at the time of day nurses should always be nurses in the things we do. In the words of our founding mother “I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.”
                                                                     Reference
Dr. Watson’s Caring Theory. (n.d.). Dr. Watson’s Caring Theory. Retrieved October 14, 2014, from http://www.keepingyouwell.com/ahh/about-us/nursing-magnet-journey/dr-watsons-caring-theory Florence Nightingale Pledge. (n.d.). Florence Nightingale Pledge. Retrieved October 15, 2014, from http://nursingworld.org/FunctionalMenuCategories/AboutANA/WhereWeComeFrom/FlorenceNightingalePledge.aspx