Ethics in Design 1A and 1B

Accessibility formats:

Audio format

Software-produced audio and translation formats

Resources: Image by Tumisu from Pixabay

1a. Ethics in design is crucial for protecting both designers and their clients. The AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) guidelines provide a comprehensive framework for professional standards and ethical practices in the field. The guidelines ensure we uphold a certain standard to foster trust and reliability. Both are important in the design felid.

In my internship, I am assigned to the art direction role, responsible for overseeing the visual and creative aspects. So far, I have created presentation slides and sourced images from various platforms, including the client’s website and Instagram, as well as paid for images such as Freepik. Despite its name, some images on Freepik are not free. I also utilize Pexels and Unsplash for royalty-free images and PNGWing for transparent PNG files. After our client meeting, I received the brand guidelines, which included the company’s logo, font, and color specifications.

1b. A non-disclosure agreement (NDA) is a legal contract designed to protect the parties involved by ensuring that sensitive information remains confidential and is not disclosed to others. In my current internship, instead of signing an NDA, I signed a participation agreement, which includes a media agreement section. The key points of this agreement are:

1) I must maintain the confidentiality of the organization’s information.

2) All activities and reporting should credit the organization.

3) Any publications require approval from the organization.

4) Before posting any organization-related media online, I need permission.

Previously, I signed an actual NDA about three years ago when I worked as a social media intern in 2021. This agreement stated that all my work (images taken and captions) was credited to Ron, and I did not own it. Additionally, I was prohibited from sharing or using the work personally.

Resources:

“A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA. 

“Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.

https://www.scribd.com/document/91894008/Non-Disclosure-Agreement