Jacquelyn Blain

Jose Velez Valencia

Throughout the time we have been reading about language narrative, I believe that storytelling is among one of the more important subsections or examples of it. One of the things that seemed to stay with me the most about storytelling, however, was the fact that we use it in our daily lives. Whenever we are talking to a friend, telling anyone about your day, or even discussing an event that occurred at any point in your life, that is the entirety of what storytelling is. Even if the stories do not have overall messages within them to teach the audience something, they are still put under this category. This is why I believe that storytelling might even be the foundation of language narrative since we do it every day whether unconsciously of consciously. Language narrative is just something that is found throughout a story regardless (at least if you are telling a good one). And so, I find that if we are able to apply that to the idea of writing in this way, then it would be easier to do it. As a more structural person however, I find that it is difficult to write about something without a clear set of points I need to hit on. If there was any type of concern than that would be it. I’m afraid I might not hit on everything I need to but, nonetheless I will do my best. I am hoping that moving forward this will be something I can work on.

Sources

1. .

1. Jacquelyn Blain

It’s good to have narrative templates with points to meet. The simplest template of all is beginning-middle-end. The beginning being the spot where this particular story actually starts (“I saw this guy on the subway”), middle being the story itself, end being the point of telling the story (“Yeah, so I really think we should get more resources into helping the homeless who ride the trains.”).

When you’re coming up with your own, those are the things to outline/fill in/whatever. Bullet points: this happened, and this happened because of it, and I learned this because of it.

Hope that helps!