Jacquelyn Blain

My “Englishes” Experience

My “Englishes” experience was kind of normal or at least I believe it was normal. Like Tan said “But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear”(1). I feel like when I read this, it resonated with me. I immediately thought to myself “This is the perfect way to explain to anyone who’s never had an experience like us”. I grew up with the same situations as Tan, my mother ever since she came to the states, she never really worked on improving her English. She learned the basics which was enough for her to make a living with, but the one thing that she never worked on was the accent. Her accent always made it hard for her to speak to someone without losing that person in the middle of a conversation. Eventually when she started giving birth to her kids she would use us to speak to anyone in her position. I believe it is the most embarrassing thing when you get taken somewhere to argue with someone in your mothers position. Imagine going to like T-Mobile and your parent is behind you yelling to you in Spanish to repeat exactly what she was saying. Mind you coming from an Hispanic household, my mother is a tad bit more aggressive than others so imagine her yelling and sometimes even saying some bad words and her wanting you to repeat it to the person to represent her frustration. Eventually I got used to understanding her frustrations because I believe you will never understand ones problems until you have experienced them yourself so I would learn about all her frustrations, but I would resolve the problems in a calmer manner instead of yelling at everyone. I think that’s why I can say it is normal to me. I’ve just been dealing with it for so long it’s become second nature for me.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Your characterization of your mother made me smile :-D. Glad you found a connection between you and Amy Tan even though you’re from different linguistic backgrounds. Amazing how that happens, isn’t it? Nice work.