Jacquelyn Blain

Jose Velez Valencia

• In his article, Mike Bunn writes, “You are already an author.” He’s talking to you. What do you think he means by this? What are some of the things you write already? (Hint: “nothing” is not an acceptable answer.) Think of all the ways you already use words in your everyday life. That’s authorship! How will that existing expertise help you in your college reading and writing career?

I believe that we write things every day. Whether it is an assignment for class or sending a text to a family member we do things like this all the time. However, there is a difference between casual writing and writing for college and other classes. It is almost like the fact that you are being graded will change the way you write. Unfortunately, this is the truth. Even if you were to ever write an essay for fun it would end up differently. However, what I look to do in the future is write my college assignments like I would if it was something I was writing for my own pleasure. It will take some time, but I can try to do it.

• Was there anything you noticed in Bunn’s article that you would like to try to do in your own writing? What, in particular? Please be specific!

Specifically, like I stated in the discussion questions of the article, I feel like writing feeling almost personalized to the person reading is important. It makes the text feel like a discussion, and I honestly was drawn to it for this particular reason. In the future I hope to be able to use this skill as well through his use of questioning and involvement of knowing his audience.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Being aware of your audience really is crucial! It lets you choose how formal or informal you want to be, what genre you’re going to choose to communicate with them, and a bunch of other important information. Good point!