Alzheimer’s Stalks a Colombian Family

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/health/02alzheimers.html?pagewanted=3&ref=thevanishingmind

After reading this article, I knew I had to publish it. This is the only case of the world that has so much family members afflicted, with Alzheimer’s. This life changing disease is very common for us to see in the older folks, not people in their mid 40’s and 50’s. I feel that this family should willingly undergo much more research done to all the family members afflicted. I feel that they are a great example not only to possibly find the cause of Alzheimer’s, but the cure as well. “The Paisa Mutation” is a well deserved name due to the fact that this family has been the one to present it the most. I am of Cali, Colombia and no one in my family especially my older family members are not afflicted with this because in this region it’s really not common. It was a big surprise for me coming upon this article and reading of such a break through story, of this family.

2 Responses to Alzheimer’s Stalks a Colombian Family

1. Sunzia Kabir says:

Most often Alzheimer is diagnosed in people over 65 years of age,although the less-prevalent early-onset Alzheimer’s can occur much earlier.

2. da121dj says:

its funny that now Alzheimer is breaking out in Columbia among families. it is now a question for scientist to figure out whether the disease is somewhat hereditary, like how my family has a continuation of people who get cancer.