Belief

To be an effective teacher I believe that listening to the depth of each student brings forth growth and self expression. Celebrating diversity by creating a safe classroom environment to express ideas builds confidence in self-expression and self awareness come through in the classroom. My role is to facilitate growth to have each student find her own voice is my goal.

Successful Students

I believe that a successful student is one who believes in themselves and the power of their ideas. One who is willing to openly share ideas and collaborate. Furthermore a successful student is one who graduates with a sense of Alma Mater and is instilled with a sense of giving to his or her community beyond the classroom.

Successful Class

A successful class gains from the wisdom of the collective, noting that we are more powerful together then apart. A successful class maintains relationships formed in class that should last a lifetime. 

Methods

The richness of culture, people, and place our students bring to the classroom teach me every semester about the world. I am actively listening to the extraordinary experiences each one brings to the classroom.  As first generation born in this country my own story resonates with many of our students finding common ground and trust. Armed with that knowledge, together, we celebrate our differences to have a great learning experience.

Teaching trajectory.

Teaching at other institutions have continually added to my awareness and toolbox of methods. In my life I have dedicated myself in service to society and what greater service that one could have is that of bringing more voices to the table. Bringing more hands to lift us all up, our communities and our world is part of my teaching. This is the main impact that I have and continue to have. I have had the honor of teaching for over 10 years at City Tech, serving as an adjunct through Full-time faculty member through today. I have had the honor to teach at other institutions such as NYIT and SVA – school a visual arts over the course of the years. Being recognized for the value of what I deliver to the students and the impact that I have had has also allowed me to guest lecture at many institutions all along the way.  I fully recognize that our world is in trouble, that the impacts of climate on our communities and  environment shape my methodology and approach to student engagement.

Student engagement, research,  professional engagement, policy and demonstrating change.

Educating others across the discipline through service to society include federal government, local government and international bodies. Writing new guidelines on policy for the profession, for safer communities and lecturing globally are natural extensions of my teaching methodology. Education the emerging professional and professional alike.

Bringing attention to city tech through my disaster response work has been combined with in class assignments, emerging/honors scholars, research grants and professional engagements with the students exposing them to deep research and employment opportunities.

Teaching beyond our walls, research,  professional engagement, policy and demonstrating change.

These combined engagements often bring new faculty, funding opportunities, scholarship opportunities, and jobs for our students. As a recognized global expert I believe it is essential to pass along the information and educate broadly beyond City Tech creating synergies for the academy in these arenas.

By observing and actively exchanging with other institutions and their students ultimately enhances my own methods and philosophy. Creating coursework and numerous education series for students and professionals alike are inextricably tied to my research and expertise.