If discussing the article in a small group discussion:

First, read through the article and take notes. These notes should consider questions like: What is the author trying to say? Do I agree with what the author is saying? Are there any words or references I don’t know? Are there any parts of the article I don’t understand? What sources or examples is the author using in the article?

Each small group will have an assigned Discussion Leader, Note Taker and Spokesperson. After everyone in the group is done reading, the Discussion Leader will ask each question to their peers. As people in the group are responding, the Note Taker will write down some key observations from the group in response to each question. At the end of the activity time, the Spokesperson will use these notes to reflect back to the whole class what came up in their small group conversation. The Discussion Leader, Note Taker and Spokesperson are all expected to contribute their thoughts and observations during the discussion.

If reflecting on the article as a journal entry:

Read the article and take notes as you are reading. These notes should consider questions like: What is the author trying to say? Do I agree with what the author is saying? Are there any words or references I don’t know? Are there any parts of the article I don’t understand? What sources or examples is the author using in the article?

Then, begin to think through the questions on the page. You can answer each question directly, or use the questions as a jumping off point for additional reflection or a consideration of related issues. You can quote the article directly, or paraphrase elements that you think should be referenced in your journal entry. Your final journal entry should be one to two paragraphs in length.

Print this page