Pilgrimage

Whether back then or now, to make the decision of going on a pilgrimage should not taken lightly. For one thing one has to be certain that they are absolutely sure that they want to do it. Another thing to consider is the ‘why’ part. Is it just to say you did it or is there some alterior motive; religious or not. I feel the ‘why’ is really important because there are probably going to be times in which you are going to want to give up but the reason(s) will help you to push yourself into completing it; it’ll be your drive to move on and not stop. (of course supplies, money etc. are important but I think that drive/will to do it is the most important).

Would I do it? I’m not gonna lie…after seeing the video I feel like I want to but I’m not 100% on it so until I am the answer is ‘no’ (for now). I have to figure out, if I am going to do it, then why am I going to. On another note I do agree with some of the people in the video, on how it doesn’t have to be a religious reason for making the pilgrimage. I myself am a Christian (Catholic but not by choice) and I feel that the pilgrimage helps ‘pilgrims’ to think on many things; their life, their choices made, & maybe even to really look  at themselves. To me the pilgrimage is almost like a soul/self searching process. Both believers and non-believers are being tested for their endurance/faith in either themselves and/or a higher being. And once you have completed the pilgrimage it’s probably like you’re reborn; you finally found yourself and you have no doubts on who you are…..

One Response to Pilgrimage

1. koralina says:

I agree with you. I think that pilgrimage is not a short trip and the person should really consider if they are able to go and why. I also am a Catholic and pilgrimage is a popular way of praying and connecting with God. I personally never attended one, but was always amazed how are these people doing that, especially with little kids or older people. And yes, they are assisted by an ambulance. The purposes are different with many praying to be healed from different diseases, or to resolve personal problems. I takes a lot of endurance and faith to walk miles with hurting knees, hunger, tiredness. However it is a beautiful way of taking time to think over our lives, roles, goals. It is just like going to India and staying there for some time to as someone said “find yourself”. I would personally consider doing it.