BW New York street photography

http://www.markushartel.com/blog/

http://www.markushartel.com/street-photography/black-and-white-street-photography

Since we started touching on street photography lately in class I thought I’d share this artist’s blog.

I love street photographs of New York. You can really see anything on the streets of New York and I love when a photographer manages to capture everyday life scenes. I love Markus’s photos, I love his high contrast BW style with deep blacks and I love that his photos depict scenes that we can see everyday.

4 Responses to BW New York street photography

1. rosannab says:

I really like your blog shares on streets photography. However, I liked more the Black and White New York street photography by Markus Hartel. His images look amazing. I like when images are taken at the moment, without staging the scene or the actors. I found that when the person in a photo doesn’t know that he/she is being photograph, there is more to say about that image, more like a story to it. Some might critique the fact that anybody can do what he does, and just go out to the street and take picture of whatever you see. Yet, I believe that to him is more like an incognito challenge he takes with its surrounding, so that they don’t find out they are being photographed.

2. victor46 says:

Street photography is one of my favorite forms of photography. The raw emotions that it gives is unbelievable. New York is a wonderful place to have a career in photography. There is always something new to shoot and the city is unbelievably fast which give you the opportunity to photograph as many subject as possible. New York City is one of the greatest cities in the world it is the reason why I am going into the photography field myself. My favorite photography that has master the art form of street photography is Alfred Eisenstaedt. His photography shows the emotion of street photography in the late fifties.

3. xecinue says:

This is a great find. With these pictures you can see another great comparison to Walker Evans’ work but now not just in the subways but he took it to the streets of New York. I love how in his work, most of his photographs are people on the go- which then leads us that New Yorkers are always on the go and always busy no matter what.

4. Black and White photography is dope. Its classic and now more than ever its fresh. Especially when using a Leica M9; a small camera that looks like its worth a few hundred bucks but in reality its worth about 8 grand! But thats’s not the point, the point is that BW photography is very appealing, and in my opinion its timeless and its easier to focus on the actual image when its black and white than when its in color.