Legendary Lensman Arthur Elgort On His Life In Fashion Photography

http://www.style.com/stylefile/2011/06/legendary-lensman-arthur-elgort-on-his-life-in-fashion-photography/

I decided to post this because I know we talked a little about fashion photography a while ago and after the review assignments, I went to the Harper’s Bazaar exhibit and I wanted to know some more on the subject.  I had come upon this fashion photographer, Arthur Elgort, a well known name in the fashion world, who was also featured in Teen Vogue’s December/January issue.  I found his story interesting because recently he had a stroke and wasn’t able to take photographs ever again, but he worked hard and had to start all over again physically which was a learning process, but he did it and is back to doing what he loves.  Hope you all find this interview as interesting as I did.

3 Responses to Legendary Lensman Arthur Elgort On His Life In Fashion Photography

1. Kacy Charles says:

2011 TED Prize winner JR

In my photography class my professor shared the work of 2011 TED Prize Winner JR with us. I thought that I would share it with you because words cannot describe the great significance of his work. JR is a French graffiti artist who posts larger than life images on walls in various parts of the world. His canvas was abandoned walls in run down and wealthy neighborhoods. His purpose was to bring museums to the people who did have the opportunity to visit them. He crossed boundaries by posting images of people who lived on the “other side of the fence” to bring awareness to all. I was deeply inspired by what I saw and I hope that you are inspired too.

http://www.tedprize.org/jr-2011-ted-prize-winner/

* In addition, please have a look at the video on the right.

(My apologies to asmith129, I am not able to log to post)

2. gramos says:

In response to 2011 TED Prize winner JR.
    This french artist JR is a great photographer who really enjoys what he does. He takes great photographs of people face expressions and places them on buildings of Parisian slums, on walls in the Middle East, on broken bridges in Africa or in favelas in Brazil. He wants to take art to places where people don’t have museum, and he leaves the photographs untitled so people can raise questions and make their own interpretation of the photograph. I think his project is great because he places big photographs in just about anywhere so everyone can see. The people not only get to experience art but see themselves in it. His work is truly inspirational.

3. rfrancois says:

Wow, Elgort is quite the motivator if i say so myself. There are people who don’t get the chance to be that lucky. It goes to show you how such a precious gift or talent could be taken away at an instant. Nevertheless, i appreciate what Elgort stands for. Which is astronomical ambition and a inner like for doing what he does best. Awesome post asmith129, i will definitely look into his work more.