Visual Quotation: J.K. Rowling

DimLightbulbQuote

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

– Dumbledore, J.K. Rowling, The Prisoner of Azkaban

In this first picture I decided to use a typeface that faded into the background and chose Beccaria, which also had a grainy look to it. The colors for the text change from dark to light, and although I considered using a gradient, I decided on sticking with just two shades of yellow. The type is monochromatic with the lightbulb image in the background. I also chose to match the lightbulb’s brightest yellow with the text “the light” to emphasize it’s importance.

LightbulbText

This second image uses text to create the shape of a lightbulb, which relates to the quote. I used Beccaria again, although I originally used BradleyHand ITC. It uses light and gray colors to appear like a lightbulb itself. The gray type at the bottom would be the part of the lightbulb you screw into appliances. I considered using a darker yellow for it but decided on gray to stick to the lightbulb theme. I’m still not fully sure if the kerning works, but I think what took more importance was legibility and that it maintained it’s shape.

LightSwitchQuote

The third image was pretty straightforward and uses a light switch as the focus of the quote. Its literally implying you should turn on the light when you want change your mood. The font used is the font used in the Harry Potter movies which coincidentally is called Harry Potter, and I changed the font size and arranged it a bit odd to sort of make the type bounce around the light switch itself. I changed the opacity of a few of the words but let “darkness” be darker than the rest to emphasize it. I lowered the opacity of the word “light” to emphasize it as well, and tried not to make it blend in too much. I think the message is set across well, but I wish I would’ve used a higher resolution picture for the switch.