Paid Disproportionally

For a couple of months now, I have observed the situation where people with disabilities are being paid disproportionally less compared to others in the same industry despite being qualified (as they are) for the job to be done. Though the principal task our business has set is the one we are incredibly proud of, finding employment for people with disabilities has shown me an underlying issue that poses difficulties for us and other companies. 

Employers often pay people with disabilities less in comparison to nondisabled employees regarding the same task, conduct that not only puts the economic stability of disabled persons at risk but also illustrates the deep-seated social injustices. This salary difference not only affects the income of disabled individuals but also results in broader economic consequences, like, for example, reducing consumer spending or the number of working persons. Unraveling the logical explanations behind the pay gap may be complicated because it may boil down to the subsequent matter of both conscious biases and structural inefficiencies in employment. 

Furthermore, it can be an ever-lasting cycle that sees downward mobility and reliance on social services, which drain public resources and marginalize some non-politicians. Without fair and reasonable compensation for disabled employees in the labor market, businesses unconsciously might hamper implementing novel processes and promoting heterogeneity in the job centers. 

Employers must consider and resolve the differences on a wide scale. Through a more inclusive wage policy, the companies will be able to not only have a positive impact on the lives of disabled workers but also engender a work atmosphere that benefits the workforce, which includes disabled workers, to tap into their unique skill sets.  The business, in turn, improves, and ultimately, the economy is positively affected. The awareness of the issues that I have developed as part of my internship not only contributed to my acquiring a better understanding of the problem but also gave me a commitment to fight for the improvement of the rights and opportunities that are offered to employees, regardless of the ability level assigned to them.