Gordon Parks

Gordon Parks is quite the pinnacle of history. A pioneer for his people and culture. A young man from Kansas City became one of the Countries most historical photojournalist. His cause was always revolved around his people, the black community, always for bringing awareness and the truth to peoples eyes the one way that couldn’t be altered (well not yet at least), through his photography. Some of his best work was created during civil rights movement, capturing the true horror that the black community was facing and only the increase of heated race relations across the country. He also captured how poverty was ravishing the country in the more urban communities. Parks was also a movie director, his “Shaft” movies were iconic and also hold a place in my deepest memories, my father loved Shaft and growing up movies were a big part of how I spent time with my father, I was unaware of Parks involving in the Shaft movies until now, but just also goes to show how sometimes the creation could outshine the creator, some people may be familiar with Shaft, but not Gordon Parks, which for all that he has done should not be the case, but his work spoke for itself and that’s exactly what it is still doing nearly 15 years after his passing.