Nursing Philosophy

“I’m sorry to tell you that you have cancer, and it has spread to your brain and liver. It is not feasible to operate at this time. Again, I am so sorry.” The laughter we were sharing in, just a few minutes ago, seemed a distant past. The attending physician stood awkwardly, making no attempts to console my now crying patient. She swiftly walked out of the room after hastily saying she can be reached for further questions and options. I moved forward to embrace her – this young woman, my patient, my friend, and a memory I will never allow to disappear. I soothed her, I rubbed her back, I let her cry on my shoulder. Meanwhile, I cried, too. After some time, she says, “Thank you for being my nurse, Amy.”

Nursing is so much more than being a pill pusher and someone that cleans sick patients. People that do not fully understand the entire scope of a nurse’s responsibilities and duties will often say, “I could NEVER be a nurse. I can’t imagine wiping butts all day and having vomit splashed on me.” That perception is so unbelievably incorrect…but I’ll allow them to believe that. My dedication to nursing is what is important. It is what drives me to be the best person I can possibly be for those that need me the most. A great nurse has an understanding of what it means for them to be a nurse.

I am newly licensed – since February 13th, 2015, to be exact. That being said, I can already firmly state that I absolutely love nursing and all the experiences that come along with it. I believe that a nurse is, first and foremost, someone that can speak up for their patients. We are people that are trustworthy in and out of the hospital. When I walk into a patient’s room, I ensure that they are sleeping safe and sound. It is never easy to be in a hospital with all the noise happening constantly. I understand that, and that is why I always cluster my care with that of other healthcare professionals to provide my patient the most optimal rest possible in a place where rest seems non-existent. A great nurse knows how to make the most of the environment they are in.

When patients are scared, they know they can talk to me in confidence. They know that I’ll forward their fears to the doctors, and that I will speak on their behalf. Being a nurse means we listen to our patients and understand the predicament they are in. Our empathy is generally more in tune than the general population’s. It is also a great quality to be able to block out emotions temporarily to perform critical duties to help a patient. A great nurse can adapt when a situation calls for it.

I inform my patients and reinforce teachings from previous shifts. I demonstrate, draw terribly, write things out, print information sheets, use interpreters, and crack silly jokes to make sure my patients understand what all their medications are for. I also teach them what to alert me to, in regards to any signs and symptoms they may be experiencing. They always know they can, unabashedly, tell me, “Amy, I have blood in my stool! Can you come take a look?” And they know that I’ll always look, reassure them, and have it immediately checked out by a physician. A nurse is dependable, at all times. A great nurse should always allow their patients to be informed on their health care and to take part in decision making.

If my patients look cold, I’ll bring them an extra blanket or two. If they’re missing water at the bedside, they know I’ll take care of them and bring one right away. Dirty environment? I’ve got that cleaned for them, too. I’ll be sure to give my patients their medications in a timely manner and to provide their pain medication before they ask for it. I will also administer an order for pain medication prior to performing an activity that may induce pain. A great nurse can anticipate the needs of their patients.

Physicians are fantastic and tend to a patient’s illness and disease processes in a very efficient manner. Nurses are meant to provide the treatments ordered. We are also meant to tend to the patient’s emotional state, to be sure they reach an overall good state of health. A great nurse sees their patient as a life, not a disease.

Nurses must also make sure to take good care of themselves. A tired nurse is more prone to making mistakes, so getting adequate rest when off from work is essential. A sick nurse cannot take good care of their patients if they aren’t feeling well, themselves. We should always make sure to practice what we teach to our patients – don’t smoke, drink, or do recreational drugs. It would be hard for a patient to listen to a nurse that goes against what they’re enforcing in the hospital setting, but does the opposite when outside. A great nurse knows they are doing their best to stay in the best state of mind and body for their patients.

I am a great nurse.