Individual Strengths

I believe in positive thinking about oneself. This leads to changes that are constructive in nature. Self-affirmation can open doorways to understanding how to better your own skills, and what skills need some more honing.

I am very analytical. To understand how something works is getting down to the very basics, even when the basics seem difficult. In nursing, evidence-based practice is one such example of analytics. We don’t have artificial nails or chipped nail polish due to the higher rates of infections being spread through harboring bacteria in such nails. Although well-polished nails may be pretty, they can also be deadly.

Quick learning is an ability that I passively have. Even when I do not apply myself, I find that I am very good at learning concepts and performing tasks, even if I have not observed another person doing them. When I do apply myself, however, I find that my speed of learning is exponentially quicker. My first try at a Foley catheter placement, on both a male and female, was successful – even though I had only read about it in our nursing textbooks. My first attempt at securing a safe environment for a patient experiencing grand mal seizures was also fruitful; my patient did not end up becoming hurt and was effectively medicated, which stopped the seizures.

My patience with coworkers and patients has been praised consistently over time. During shift handoffs, I’ve often received warnings such as, “Be careful. This is a frequent flyer and he will ask for every little thing to be perfect.” Or a warning like, “He is very agitated and aggressive.” When I see these patients, I make sure the first thing I do is give them a positive outlook for the shift. I will make sure their needs are met, and have never found these shift handoff warnings to be true.

I seem to have a constant flow of positive energy. My coworkers will always ask, “How do you manage to have so much energy at 5AM?” I smile, say that I love my job, and continue to work with the same gusto as I did at the beginning of my shift. Even coworkers that have a “reputation” for being more stoic cannot help but smile with me when I greet them. Some even go as far as doing a little dance with me during the shift while passing each other by in the hallways. Patients will say, “Amy, I have to tell you that you’re such a bubbly nurse. Without you here, it would be absolutely miserable!”

Empathy is not a learned skill. I don’t believe it can be acquired over time. I feel this is a strength that a person is born with or without. While some may be very good at sympathizing, I can also empathize. I feel the pain of my patients waiting for their next dose of medication. I experience the loss of family when their loved one passes away. I also jump for joy and revel in times where good news is given in the hospital.

Lastly, I am very thorough. I read through all the notes written on my patient when I have the time during my shift. I do a full assessment on each patient, and I document every mark, scrape, bruise, etc. that I find on their body. I will listen for the faintest of crackles or wheezing in their lungs, and you can bet that my documentation shows that I heard a faint click of a murmur that other nurses may have missed. I also read through medications before handing them out so I can educate my patients on what they are taking and how their body should react to it. I also teach them what they should alert me to if they experience any signs or symptoms. I always close the loop of communication for anything I do.

As much confidence as I have in my ability to perform exceedingly well for my patients and myself, I feel that there is always room to learn more. This Bachelors of Nursing program is another stepping stone to becoming the best person I can possibly be.