Internship Journal #6: Working at IFCC

When it comes to design, sometimes it’s not the actual designing you have to worry about. Sometimes, you have to think about printing as well. When designing on the computer, you don’t fully realize how big or small something is until you print it. This can be easy to forget if you’re just emailing back and forth the information. It’s always a good idea to print the project out to see what it would look like when it’s right in front of you. Another printing tip that I didn’t know until doing this internship was pages. When making a booklet, in order for your booklet to work without a hitch and no unintentional blank pages, the number of pages must be divisible by four. For example, a booklet can be 16 pages but it can’t be 17 pages. The reason is because of the binding that is used. Most booklets use saddle stitch to bind itself together. To keep the spread count even, it was must divisible by four. They’re cant be missing pages so if you don’t have enough pages to fill the booklet, then you have to use a white page.

I have learned to put on a smile and talk the language they talk at the organization. While everyone at IFCC is nice, their tones and mannerisms are handled with care and professionalism. In order to show that I am an adult and not just a college student, I show my professional side when handing PR. I come off as nice but very orderly and hardworking. I want my clients to see me as someone they can rely on.

When I’m not designing, I’m editing PDFs. When a file needs to be edited, my client will send it to me to fix. Unfortunately, they don’t send me the InDesign file to fix. They will send the PDF to fix instead. It’s understand that they won’t have the InDesign file since most computers don’t have InDesign. However, it’s hard to edit a PDF and keep it in the same format. I used Illustrator to fix a phone number because it was the only program where it would mess up the format of the flier. Still, this was a good learning experience because now I know how to handle the situation should it ever happen again.

Sometimes, we have to accept that we’re not perfect. Sometimes, we need help with a problem we can’t solve ourselves. When this happens, it’s always good to ask someone who knows the subject for the answer if you can’t figure it out on your own. Asking for help is better than keeping quiet about it and potentially hurting people in the process. Sometimes, the other interns don’t know why InDesign isn’t working the way they want it to or how to align text when it starts off with a line where people can check off. It’s good to ask so you can learn how to fix it and thus becoming more knowledgeable about the software.