Learning Experiences

Hand writing in notebook
Close-up of a hand writing in notebook Credit: Pexels, Source: Pixabay

Most of what I’m learning here at the internship is mainly how to apply my design skills and knowledge in real-world applications. The work I have done so far have mainly been creating thumbnails for design projects, photo editing and curation. This aligns with the work I have done for class assignments; none of the tasks that I’ve been doing is new to me, they’re all familiar. I haven’t done anything as of now that have been different to what I learned from my courses, the main difference being the time given to complete each task for a project as they’re more short and quick. I’m also using certain design programs more such as Photoshop and learning how to use it more for photo editing, expanding my previous knowledge of the application.

A typical day in the internship is coming into the office and working on the assigned task until it’s time to leave. I bring the materials I need every time I come in and set everything up at my desk; from turning on my laptop, taking out my sketchbook and pencils, finding reference images and creating Pinterest boards for inspiration, etc. I don’t interact with anyone else, there aren’t that many people at the office to interact with and they have their own projects to work on. The only person I interact with the most is my supervisor, and I don’t really mind this as my previous work experiences I mainly interacted with my boss/supervisor than a co-worker. Looking back, there were also not that many people working at those jobs either so there were few co-workers to begin with. Most of what I have experienced so far at this internship mainly aligns with what I have experienced before from past jobs in terms of social relations. I closely work alongside 1-2 people and given a task that I need to complete quick, once done I report back and given a new task to complete, the cycle then repeats. This might change further down the internship as told by my supervisor when things start picking up, so who knows what might be in store as the semester continues on.