Role in Company

Person at desk typing on a laptop
Person at desk typing on a laptop Credit: StartupStockPhotos, Source: Pixabay

My role at Image & Visual Communications is intern/assistant to my supervisor who is also one of the senior designers as well as a professor at the institution/college. My job/duties are to assist my supervisor with tasks for ongoing projects at the college, mainly involved in promotional materials and publications. One of the recent projects I’ve been tasked to assist on was taking photos of a culinary class for promotional posters for the Hospitality Management department. I’m currently working on organizing the photos based on what can be used as promotional material for the posters.

I came to work here after being recommended this internship by my Internship course instructor and professor, after reaching out to her for help on landing an internship. Prior to securing this position, I applied to ten separate internships and have either been told that positions have been filled by email or simply never heard from those job listings ever again. I was reaching the deadline to secure a position for the course so I’m thankful for the help I received from my professor which led to me applying for the internship at Image & Visual Communications and getting an interview. The interview was done through zoom with my supervisor himself, who asked questions about the type of design work I do, the type of equipment and design programs I use, and my previous work experiences. After the interview I was offered the position and I accepted since I was reaching my deadline, but also because the duties associated with the role sounded similar to my previous job of Production Assistant at The Cubed Effect, LLC; a video production company in Brooklyn. As a result, I felt reassurance that I would be able to do the work and use my previous experiences working there to help in my internship in some way. I’m looking forward to what I might do at the company and what I might learn that would allow me to grow my career as a designer.