philosophy

Personal Nursing Philosophy

Philosophy is an attitude towards life and reality that develop gradually and naturally from each nurse’s beliefs. (Edwards 1997, 1089).  I personally believed that to be successful nurses, we must incorporate into our practice the principle of art and science with caring as an essential element. Without caring, we cannot connect with our patients and if we cannot connect with our patients, trust will not develop. Without trusting relationship, therapeutic nursing will not take place.

My beliefs and values are to provide holistic care, delivering of compassionate and culturally sensitive care to patients, their families and significant others. I always exhibit and express compassion, respect and dignity to my patient and my coworkers.  My personal nursing philosophy is based on Watson theory. I believe in establishing a helping – trust relationship with my patients, this I do always by using effective communication to establish rapport and caring. I always show empathy and take time to listen to them and be their advocate.  I believe that each patient is a unique individual who needs a secure and caring environment. I always involved each patient in the decision that will affect their treatment to promote autonomy.

As a professional and committed nurse, I have an obligation toward life – long learning, through continuous education and hands – on experience to improve my practice and my nursing knowledge.

Reference;

Edwards, S.D (1997) what is philosophy of nursing? Journal of Advance nursing, 25, 1089-1093