Islamic Horizons : Alhamdulilah

Growing up as a bengali muslim, A word that holds deep meaning in my life is “Alhamdulillah,” which translates to “Praise be to God.” This word has become more than just a phrase; it’s a way of life for me. It’s a constant reminder to appreciate the beauty in every moment, to be thankful for the blessings big and small, and to trust in Allah’s plan for me.

However, this word hasn’t always been meaningful to me as it is now. I used to be the cliche bratty older sister, or “bon,” as we say in Bangla, who would never listen and always complain. I would often whine about our small “bhasha” (apartment) and compare my life with my friends’, saying things like “Amina Italy te ghurte gese, amra keno kono jaiga ghurte jai na, ki lucky.” (Amina went to Italy for vacation, why can’t we ever go anywhere, she is so lucky). Or “amar friend ra sobai shobcheye shundor shundor brand er dress pore, amar keno ABC clothing store theke dress kinti hoi?” (All my friends wear clothes from good clothing brands, why do I have to get clothes from ABC clothing store?). 

My parents were religious and wanted me to learn more about Islam by hiring an arabic teacher. Deep down I didnt have the willingness to go ahead and try to understand more about my religion for my self. I was more interested in my own pursuits, my friends, and the matters of  a 7 year old girl. My arabic teacher would teach me phrases in Islam that we muslims use in everyday life. One of the phrases she taught me was “Alhamdulillah” I was familiar with this word because my parents would often say this when eating meal or receiving good news. Surprisingly I was curious and wanted to know how and when I can use the word myself. So my teacher told me that “Alhamdulillah” means “Praise be to God” or “Thank God.” She explained that we say it to show gratitude and thankfulness to Allah for all the good things in our lives. We say it after we finish eating to thank God for the food, or when something good happens to show we’re happy and thankful. It’s also used in conversations to say we’re thankful for good things, like being healthy or doing well in something. And when things are tough, we say “Alhamdulillah” to remember that God’s plan is always good. 

That night I overheard my parents saying “Afifa’s clasher onek taka dete hoche ar amara ey renter aro take bake asei kinto renter deen due onek age amra ki korbo?” (The arabic teacher is asking for more pay and I dont know how we can afford the rent at the same time what should we do?). My throat suddenly tightened as my eyes began to well up in tears. A wave of guilt washed over me. The way I have been acting selfish and inconsiderate towards my parents and not once thinking of how all my whining and complaints were adding to my parents’ worries. They were working hard to provide for my brother and I, and here I was, only thinking about myself. It was a wake-up call for me to be more grateful and considerate, to think of their sacrifices, and to appreciate all they did for our family. The weight of my actions hit me hard that night, and I made a promise to myself to change my attitude and show more appreciation for my parents’ efforts.

In the morning, I told my parents “Arbi teacher bondo koro ar pay korti hobe na ami tumager kase shikbo” (Tell the Arabic teacher to not come anymore from now on I will learn about Islam directly from you). A wide smile appeared on my parents faces they were overjoyed with this news. My father said “Alhamdulillah my daughter is a big girl now understanding our struggles.” Looking back at how I used to complain about our small apartment, I now say “Alhamdulillah” because I realize how blessed I am. I have a roof over my head and loving parents who always prioritize my happiness. Why compare my life to others when God has given me a life that keeps me humble and grateful?  The significance of “Alhamdulillah” started to resonate with me. It wasn’t just a phrase; it was a “shomoi” (time) to reflect on the blessings in my life, to be grateful for the “barokah” (blessings) that surrounded me. It became a way to connect with my “dhormo” (religion) and my “bhasha” (language), blending the richness of Bengali culture with the spirituality of Islam.

As I grew older I made non-muslim friends and taught them phrases in Islam such as “InshAllah, MashAllah, and Alhamdulillah.” Now its apart of their vocabulary a way for them to show gratitude, just like we do. Anyone can use “Alhamdulillah” to show thanks, not just Muslims. When non-Muslims use it, it can be a sign of respect for our culture and beliefs. For those going through tough times, “Alhamdulillah” offers comfort by reminding us to find something to be thankful for, even in challenging moments. It’s a gentle nudge to focus on the positive, no matter how small. Today, as I reflect on my journey, I can proudly say, I have come a long way from being a whiny little brat to a more mature individual. I now have my own room, a  kitten, a house, and lifelong friends that I can always count on. These are the very things that I once prayed for, years ago. Now that they are part of my life without even realizing my prayers being answered over the years. All I can say is “Alhamdulillah” my gratitude for the blessings that I once wished for and now cherish every day.