Adina Augustine’s Tobacco Cessation Term Paper

Tobacco cessation is a very important topic that is not discussed enough. The best way to learn more about the effects of tobacco and how it affects the oral cavity would be to write a research paper about it.  My paper discusses the harmful ingredients that are found in electronic cigarettes and how this affects teenagers and adolescents.  It also describes the role of the dental hygienist and how we can bring awareness to the dangerous effects of tobacco in those of all ages. This project made it much easier for me to communicate with my future patients about how smoking increases their risk of cancer heart disease and other respiratory conditions.

Adina’s Article Analysis on Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy for HNC

Patients who are undergoing chemotherapy suffer from extreme dry mouth that can cause trouble swallowing, speech problems, bad breath, and an increased risk of caries. My paper highlights how a comprehensive home care plan can improve the oral effects of patients who are currently going through chemotherapy. It illustrates the role the dental hygienist plays in educating the patient on proper home care practices and frequent recare appointments to decrease the symptoms of dry mouth. Conducting this research paper allowed me to understand the severity of dry mouth not only in patients with HNC but also in patients with medically induced dry mouth. Overall as a hygienist, I must continue my research to meet the needs of the patient and provide them with adequate patient care.