Ethical Design Part 2

1a

Studying copyright law has significantly impacted my perspective on work by highlighting the importance of intellectual property rights and ethical creativity. Understanding how copyright protects original expressions and regulates their use has made me more conscientious about respecting others’ creative efforts and ensuring that my work aligns with legal standards. It has also influenced how I approach collaborations and sourcing of materials, emphasizing the necessity of obtaining proper permissions and licenses. Moreover, grasping the legal framework of copyright has motivated me to innovate responsibly, knowing that protecting intellectual property is crucial for fostering a fair and sustainable creative environment.

I have used images and illustrations that belong to others without proper citation but that was in my beginning of familiarizing myself with the industry. Now, in my academic projects, I have used images captured by others, but always ensuring to properly cite their sources whenever the original creator was unknown. Recognizing the importance of acknowledging intellectual property, I prioritize ethical use by crediting the sources of these images.

1b 

Navigating the intricacies of copyright ensures that creators can protect their original works while respecting the rights of others in a digital age. The “Hope” poster, created by artist Shepard Fairey during Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign, became an iconic symbol of optimism and political change. However, its fame also underscored the importance of copyright in the creative process. The poster, based on a photograph by AP photographer Mannie Garcia, sparked a legal dispute over copyright infringement. This case highlighted how copyright laws protect original works and regulate the use of copyrighted material, emphasizing the need for artists and designers to understand and respect these laws when creating and sharing their work.

https://archive.nytimes.com/artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/shephard-fairey-is-fined-and-sentenced-to-probation-in-hope-poster-case/