Working Remotely – My Work Week

Photo by girtss

Working remotely is not something I prefer to working in an office. While yes, it is more convenient to have access to all the tools I am comfortable with, and being able to act at my own pace, I actually much prefer being able to work outside of my house, where there are no distractions and I can focus more on my work. This is why I enjoyed working the Light Benders event in-person. Another issue I find with working remotely is that communication can be much less assured between my client and I.

However, there are obviously the advantages as stated above of working remotely. Being able to work more at my own pace is nice in order to allow myself breaks for either my mental or physical health. It also means that I have access to all my programs on my PC that I am comfortable with using, and don’t have to work with programs I am less familiar or comfortable with.

I’ve found that, at home, I struggle to get more than an hour and a half’s work done in one sitting. I’ve now begun to do my work in 3 separate hour-long intervals throughout the day. This allows me breathing room between working on my assignments that I need to focus on my health and prevent burning out. I make sure to at least work 5 days a week, and that I get 15 hours a week done. I have not been perfectly consistent with this, but I made sure I was still on pace with my hours. The only day I would always allow myself to completely forego doing any work was Saturday, to make sure I wasn’t working every day.