Community Health Nursing Blog 4

This week we held our health fair. It was a stressful endeavor that we plotted for most of the semester. We’ve chosen our topic on disaster preparedness as the community at Masaryk was hit especially hard by Hurricane Sandy. I was one of the coordinators in charge of organizing the event and it was somewhat stressful to consider all the factors that we needed in order to make the project a success. What if the clients didn’t show up? What if they lost interest? There was a lot of anxiety all around.

Fortunately once we got the fair started we had a good amount of success drawing people towards us. The most popular table by far was of course the triage table where we took blood pressures and blood sugars to the point that we had to transition more students to help deal with the clients. It was nice to also run into a lot of the community members which had become our friends over the semester and to take care of them.

We’ve made a lot of good friendships with the community members at Masaryk towers and I will certainly miss them. I will definitely pay the area a visit in the future and hope that it fares well. In the hands of the nurses that work diligently here, I am certain that it will.