Is there a recent rise female leads in science fiction movies?

For my proposal I was interested in researching female protagonist in science fiction. Most of the readings we did in class all semester were mostly male protagonist based stories and novels. Female characters played secondary roles. They were usually love interest or objects to the protagonist and society.
During my research I googled and went to the Cuny data base and typed the phrase “female protagonist in science fiction”. After some research, I found there was a sub-genre called feminist science fiction. This Genre focuses on theories that include but are not limited to gender, inequality, sexuality, race, economics, and reproduction. There has been recurring waves of feminist science fiction in television and movies.
I re-worded and looked up “female leads in science fiction movies”. Contemporary Science-Fiction Films during the 80s saw a huge rise in female leads in science fiction. Most notability Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, the warrant officer aboard the Nostromo. From my research I have found that Weaver role was originally written for a male character. She gain critical success and got nominated for a few prestige’s award in the film industry. Another Female lead was Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor, the Terminator’s target who is soon to be the mother of the future Resistance leader John Connor. Tours the end of the decade there seem to be a decline in strong female leads. But most recently, in Hollywood the rise of strong female roles in science fiction movies have begun again. Movies such as The Hunger Games, Divergent, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Trek, Terminator series, and Wonder Women. In TV, the new Hulu series The Handmaidens Tale. I want to narrow down my topic to “The recent rise of female leads in science fiction movies”.

http http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-wonderful-sci-fi-

The 20 Greatest Female Characters In Sci-Fi And Fantasy

The Top 40 Kick-Ass Female Sci-Fi Characters

Johnson, Mandy. “Women as Action Heroes: Is Violence a Positive Direction for Females?”
Glamour (March 1994): 152-154.]
revues .org/sidelining women in contemporary science fiction films