Entry 10

Exhibit 1

National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Seoul virtual exhibit on Korean Artists since the 1970s

The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MMCA), Korea has been known through the history of Korean art. In the process, MMCA established itself as a representative institution of Korean modern art.

Title: Unfinished Story
Creator: Choi, Wook-kyung
Date: 1977
Physical Dimensions: w266 x h147 cm
Provenance: MMCA
Type: Color pencil and crayon on paper laid down on panel

I chose this piece because of the beautiful pastel shades in this such as the; pink, purple, and yellowish green. In the description it states “the color, form, and composition devote themselves to the declaration of Choi’s poetic inward mind, gently vibrate and slowly move to meet, collide, and mingle with one another”. I find this beautiful because I love seeing pieces of work that portray what’s in a person’s mind, unable to explain what it is but can portray a variety of things.

Exhibit 2

Title: Kyesan-dong Cathedral
Creator: Lee, In-sung
Date: 1930s
Physical Dimensions: w44 x h34.5 cm
Provenance: MMCA
Type: Watercolor on paper

I chose this watercolor painting because the pastel colors looked so soft and subtle. Usually pastel colors aren’t used for building paintings so this is definitely a unique piece. Lee, In-sung did not attach to realistic depiction rather expressed the impression of the object with his emotional sense. As stated in the description, “viewers feel warm from the delicate variation of pastel toned colors”. This was exactly what I felt when I saw this painting and I find it fascinating that we are able to see Lee, Insung’s emotional sense from viewing his work.

Exhibit 3

Title: Landscape of Rouen
Creator: LEE Chongwoo
Date Created: 1926
Location Created: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)
Physical Dimensions: 64×48cm
Rights: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)
Medium: Oil on canvas

I chose this oil painting because the it’s a beautiful still-life painting from 1926, which was painted during Lee’s study in Paris, is the landscape of a city on the River Seine in the north of France. The use of pastel colors and the volumetric patterns of geometric rhythms pronounced in the buildings reflect light contrast. It’s very subtle and soft but sharp as well. This work is valuable since it is the only remaining landscape painting of Lee.

In my opinion, I felt the virtual tour was effective because I read more about it than I would in person. Sometimes I get distracted by the art that instead of reading about it, I like to visualize it more. Then. I just go to the next piece of art  because everything is so interesting. So virtual tours are definitely effective but in person tours are more fun.