For this activity, my classmates and I prepared an oral presentation for the international college student program in the New York City College of Technology. These students were foreign immigrants to the United States, all enrolled in English as a Second Language curriculum, ranging in ages between 18-30 years old. Our presentation focused on the importance of oral health and its connection to overall health. Some of the goals we aimed to achieve were to introduce the importance of oral health, increase awareness of oral health, explain the influence of the oral cavity in relation to the whole body, explain how our diet or habits can influence our oral health, and discuss most common diseased conditions in oral cavity. We also wanted to provide information about preventative care, and improve their at-home oral hygiene care routine by explaining positive and beneficial behaviors and habits. My specific role in this project, in addition to the team effort of reaching our goals, was to set up a proper evaluation to test the effectiveness of the learning activities as well as the visual and verbal presentation. I was involved in creating questionnaires to be used as a measurable tool in comparing pre and post evaluation of the students’ oral health needs. Creation of a post-evaluation allowed us to gain insight into the positive influence of their educative experience. Students gained and implemented positive lifestyle changes, including quitting vaping, drinking water, eating healthier, and avoiding brushing after drinking coffee.

See attached for oral presentation:

Public Health

See attached for group paper:

Service Learning Field Project