writing assignment #4
Writing Assignment #4-(Only type-written work will be accepted)
Assigned: March 10, 2017
Due: March 24, 2017
Working from Left to Right, Make a chart of all the different building typologies that we have seen so far on the Acropolis in Greece: (Refer to your textbook, notes, and ppts as needed)
1. For each building typology, list all the structures that you think fit within it
2. For each structure, give period, date, and location
3. Draw a small Key plan and elevation adjacent to each structure noted. Label them as PLAN, ELEVATION, and with north arrows as needed.
4. Mark the last column of the chart as COMMENTS, and for each typology, see if you can list commonalities and differences between the structures you chose.
This assignment will be most easily done in Excel or using the chart or graph features of MS Word.
2017_1121_ writing assignment #2
Writing Assignment #2-(Only type-written work will be accepted)
Assigned: February 17, 2017
Due: February 24, 2017
• Read Chapter 1 (the Mesopotamia and the Near East and the Egypt chapter) in A World History of Architecture.
• Chose two monuments, one monument should be from the Mesopotamia Chapter and the other monument should be from the Egypt chapter.
• Make a chart with two headings, one for each monument.
• Under each heading write the information you know about each monument in parallel format. This means if on line one you write that the first monument is a temple, and then on the first line under the second monument you should write the second monument’s use and so on.
• After you have assembled the chart, write one paragraph comparing the two monuments.
• Work from the biggest similarity to the smallest and then from the biggest difference to the smallest.
• After you have written the paragraph, try to write a topic sentence that would introduce and state the biggest point from the paragraph.
Hand in the chart, the paragraph, and the topic sentence.
Writing Assignment #1-(Only Type-Written Work will be accepted)
Assigned: February 3, 2017
Due: February 10, 2017
• Pick two different buildings. Draw at least one elevation of each building-this can be a free hand sketch.
• Identify the use of each building: Commercial, residential, or institutional.
• How does it fit with its site? Similar to neighboring buildings or distinctive in its scale, material, or use?
• Describe general appearance of each building:
• Discuss the characteristics of the building:
1. Scale: How many stories?
2. Mass/Weight: How does the first floor differ from the upper stories?
3. How does the roof differ from the rest of the building?
• Describe the arrangement of openings: windows and doors
• Is there is a sense of rhythm? Vertical or horizontal.
• Space: Are there any overhangs or recesses?
• How does the building’s scale relate to the pedestrian on the street?
• Identify the primary material for each building: stone, glass, brick, wood, etc.
• Describe how the material is used in each building.
1. Texture/Color: Is there more than one material?
2. Ornament: How does the material change at openings (windows & doors) or at roof?
3. If there is more than one material, are the other materials used at points of transition between floors or at openings?
4. How does the sun interact with the building? Reflective or absorptive?
• Write a third paragraph in which you compare and contrast the two buildings. What is the major difference between them? What do they have in common?
Please remember to give the location of each building and if possible take a photo to accompany your sketches.