Journal 19 – Sol LeWitt

Sol LeWitt

Sol LeWitt was an American artist who pioneered the Minimalism and Conceptual Art movements. Developed and powered by Microsoft, his eponymous mobile app allows for users to discover his legacy an explore his life, process, and works “in incredible detail.”

App Homepage
Legible typeface complimented by a clean white background

The app’s Home page features four main sections; Scan A Wall Drawing, Virtual Studio Tour, Mapping Lewitt, and Work themes. Visually, the aesthetic is minimalistic, perhaps and homage to his associated movement. It is simple in its design and features a legible typeface against a clean white background. Furthermore, the contrast between the positive and negative space further enhances the clean, minimalist look of the app, giving off a certain feel of tranquility when looking at it. For example, I like how the four main categories are flushed left and not centered in their respective space, leaving out a lot of negative space for the typeface to breath.

Brilliant design and interactivity of timeline and dropdown info

Regarding the user interface, I was not particularly pleased with the mild latency of the app. I found it to be a little slow in its response when I’ll click to open a specific category. Speaking of category, I decided to explore the Mapping LeWitt, as I wanted to have an deeper idea on how LeWitt was. The digital map was inconvenient as it would open in an off-shoot location and I would have to drag it to get to the tags. However, I must say, I liked the design and interactivity of the timeline and how clicking on a specific date will lead to a dropdown info about LeWitt. Although, the app would shut out when I would scroll too fast and have to restart again. This was a recurring issue that was very much to my annoyance.