Journal Entry #4 – IA Interview AKA My Second Interview

It’s time to get that job. I’m going to go in there, march straight to the supervisor, look him straight in the eyes, and ACE THAT INTERVIEW!

For the interview, I wore a black button-up shirt, back pants, and my black boots. I took the train, and I made it about 5-10 minutes early. I didn’t go in quickly but instead went to Duane Reade first to buy a bottle of water. After that, I went in. I have 5 minutes left before the interview, and I waited at the front desk. Then, I met with the director, Ali. We both introduced ourselves, and we interviewed in an empty room.

The way the interview went, Ali talks about the company and what they do. He then talks about my portfolio and resume and then talks about his backstory because of my career experiences. He told me that he used to do graphic design and illustration when he was young. I was surprised that I didn’t need to talk about myself. He read my cover letter and my resume. He also didn’t ask me any questions about what I do, my plans in the future, etc. I only asked him questions about the company and what they do. After the interview, I gave him my business cards and two of my stickers. He then asked me if I want him to show me around the workplace.

I say, yes. I’m glad that he asked me that because I never had another supervisor showing me around their workplace. This makes me think that I did ace the interview.

I forgot to take pictures of their company, but this is how the room looks. The back of the room is their workplace. Their workplace is dim, but probably because of the afternoon time. I saw maybe around 35 employees working. Their tables are adjustable, and each table has two computers. Ali then explains the workplace and what their employees are working. After that, I went home and wrote a thank you email to Ali.

The next day, Erik emails me about taking the next step after the interview. He also added me on LinkedIn.

I was shocked, but also joyful that had never happened to me before. I message Eli about the interview and all the good news.