Digital Media Foundations

Visual Quote Project

For this project, we had to come up with three posters with different designs utilizing the same quotes that were of interest to us. For me , I thought “All You Need Is Love” was the best option to go for. There were so many ways in which I could achieve these designs in which to show to an audience. The three designs I did are shown below.

Visual Quote 1

For this piece, I wanted to try something completely different. With my quote utilizing “love” as its main component, I wanted to try and utilize typography by turning it into a heart. This was by far one of the hardest things to achieve, in terms of ensuring the type was legible. It all started out with a sketch and with that, I decided to import it into Illustrator to bring the piece to life. It took a while to achieve the way I wanted, but in the end it came out great.

Visual Quote 2

For the second design, I wanted to utilize an illustration instead without the need of creative type. So I decided to design a rose, in which many cases represents love. The illustration itself wasn’t difficult, but I didn’t know how to achieve the type. Then I thought, why not have the type lap over the illustration. I thought this was the best way to show off the illustration as it’s supposed to be at the center of attention. With that in mind, I chose an elegant font that matched the mood of the poster and wrapped it around.

Visual Quote 3

For my third and final poster design for my visual quote, I wanted to go towards the more simplistic route. The idea was to try and utilize both type and illustrations without overdoing the tone and mood it represents. This is my least favorite one out of the three because due to time, I couldn’t really achieve the way I wanted it to look. The initial idea was to put the illustration of hearts into the type, but that idea seemed generic and lacked direction.

Logo Research Paper

For our first research paper, we had to find a logo of a company that had a long history that utilized many logo changes throughout the course of their existence. There have been many companies that changed their logos throughout history to appease to their audiences. The company I chose is infamous for their apparel and even their jeans, Levi’s. Levi’s has had many design changes for their logo, some went from highly detailed to minimalistic. Their process, changes and even their design considerations are all talked about within my paper attached below.

Museum Gallery Field Trip (Virtual)

Martial Iris

The first piece I was interested in was the Martial Iris show in the Digital Museum of Cooper Hewitt. One thing that always intrigues me is designs created by using stencils and carvings. Before I begin, this piece was documented in the early sixteenth century. It’s measurements are not documented, but clearly uses a horizontal layout. In traditional Japanese craft of katagami, paper stencils are carved by master artisans for use in decorating textiles. To me, this seems to be more of an abstract design rather than representational. I say this because although the design looks organized, there seems to be this inconsistent flow in regards to its patterns. While reading up more on this piece, it doesn’t really say who designed this, but states that it was given to as a gift to Helen Synder in 1976. There only seems to be two colors used in this, black and white. Why this person decided to chose that is not known, but I feel as if the two colors complement it really well. The texture also seems to look rough, since it’s a stencil drawing, it was drawn on an old board.

Take Me to Paradise

The second piece that caught my eye was a digital poster, “Take me To Paradise” by Japanese designer Tadanori Yokoo. Designed in 1936, this off-set lithograph on white wove paper measures at 102.8 x 72.6 cm (40 1/2 x 28 9/16 in.). This piece was shown at the Digital Museum of Cooper Hewitt in which shows multiple designs she’s created all throughout Japan. One thing I saw about this piece was that Tadanori loved to create designs based on tourism, in a way to attract people to various locations. This poster seems to be more of a recreational look rather than abstract due to its nature. Since recreational means doing something just for fun, Tadanori stated that the enjoyed creating these odd pieces based off geographical locations. This design just radiates excitement due to its stature and shows how some designs just don’t correlate at all, but that’s what makes it interesting.

SIR LAWRENCE ALMA-TADEMA’S STUDY

Lastly, we have a painting by Anna Alma-Tadema. This piece was shown at the Digital Museum at Cooper Hewitt’s Virtual Tour. There weren’t measurements listed for this, but this was made using certain watercolor paints, ink and drawn on a white graphite paper. This piece really shows just how well a painting can be made as a mere depiction of a realistic setting. That’s what intrigues me the most and seeing this sort of paints a story being shown. This piece is in no way abstract, but gives off a more representational semblance to it. This painting speaks a thousand words and also shares a story in which is being shown to its audience. The colors used were very limited, as I was reading up on it, I saw that certain agents of brown were used, greens, and even marks from graphite pencils. Since it’s a painting, I’m assuming that the texture is very smooth since paint doesn’t really leave off rough or ragged marks. I feel that a virtual tor of a museum is much more informational since they include added resources on not only the art being displayed, but the artists previous works. When going in-person, I feel that in some ways you get a less experience than what you get online.