Brooklyn Museum Field Trip Assignment

This is my first time visiting the Brooklyn museum, I looking forward to discover the arts from inside and expecting to learn new things and information from the museum. When I enter the museum, I saw two large sculptures stand on the side. The sculptures was painting in brightly color, to me they look like cartoon figure with their heads lowered and with one arm around each other. First, we will explore the exhibitions on the first floor and the four floor, which “Double Take: African Innovations” and “I see myself in you”.

On the first floor in the exhibition “Double Take: African Innovations”

image

This piece Ndeemba Mask for N-Khanda imitation, unidentified Yaks artist during the early 20th century Bandundu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo. And the material of this mask is made of wood, raffia fiber and pigment. This type of mask is used in dance celebrating the emergence of young initiates from the Yaka circumcision camp, where boys are ritually received into Yaka manhood. Usually masks have a spiritual and religious meaning in African culture. And they are used in ritual dances and social and religious events, and also a special status is attributed to the artists that create masks and to those that wear them in ceremonies.

On the four floor in the exhibition “I see myself in you”.

image
The work”Titi in Window ” by John Ahearn and Rigoberto Torres in the time of 1986-87. This work reflect the culture during 1980s. A time when the community was struggling economically and socially. Ahearn and Torres created plaster castings of their neighbors and friends. The two sculptors would often cast their subjects on the sidewalk, and then display the finished busts publicly on walls in the neighborhood.
One of the work impressed me was from the exhibition “I see myself in you”
“Grey Area” by Fred Wilson in 1993. The material of this work was paint, plaster and wood. First I saw at it was 5 heads with light color to dark color from left to right. And I saw Fred Wilson was using the element repetition on his work. I think this represent one’s level of position. To me I think the light color is the less important and the darker color is the more important and higher level.

image

From this trip I have my eyes open, I can view different period of arts and learn the culture from that time. Also some arts were a very different to create a meaningful work which really impress me. This is a good opportunity for us to gain knowledge and learn that can be use in class works.