My Favorite Projects – COMD 1100

• Project #1: Found Shape

In project 1: part 1 we had to search for an artwork that was interesting for us while searching for it in online museum websites. After choosing one of the art pieces we had to draw lines and shapes we saw in the artwork. Moreover, after finishing drawing lines and shapes from the artwork we had to create our own piece of art with the lines and shapes. I was honestly surprise of the outcome of my work, I keep wondering how did I create my artwork from another artwork, and they look so much different, but somehow they connect with each other. For being my first project in this course I think I did fantastic. Also, it was really fun to create and using gouache paint for the first time was amazing.

Project #2: Gordon Parks

In the Gordon Parks project, we had to create an art piece based on and or inspired by Gordon Parks photographs. For this project we had to work with textures and values. I came up with many ways to create different textures such as using napkins to create my background, a very small detailed painting brush to create the hair and the brows and a medium round tip brush and flat brush to create the rest. It was very exiting to create different textures, Gordon Parks photography were truly an inspiration for this artwork and I feel like I portrayed that with my own piece.

Project #1 part 2: Figure Ground

In project 1 part 2, we had to come up with a design that had equal amount of negative and positive space. Both the positive and negative space had to influence one another in order to create a perceptional space. We needed to create an artwork that we couldn’t really tell which was the background and which was the figure. I feel like the artwork that I decided to create for this project was very simple yet very effective because I did equal parts of negative and positive space.

Project #5: Self-Portrait

This project might be my favorite piece that I created this semester. I was extremely surprised when I finished gluing this collage together. For this project we needed to create a self-portrait collage using warm and cool tones colors. I had so much fun creating this one, I love the colors and how they interact/connect with each other.

Project #6: Poem Pattern

In this project, we had to search for a poem we liked and make the poem into an art piece. We had to choose keywords from the poem, associated with colors and lastly, we had to create a pattern design with it. I created my artwork with watercolor pencil, it was harder to create this piece by hand because a pattern needs repetition, and they needed to look equal in proportions and colors. Also painting this with water color was a challenge, because I probably had to paint this at least four time in order for the colors to pop. Even though, it was a bit of a challenge I had so much fun creating this pattern and I will really love to create many more patterns in the future.

Project #6: Bezold Effect

For this particular project we had to choose something from our past, present and future and create a design. In this project we had to create a design twice side by side and change only the background color in order to see how the color of the background can make the other colors look different. I was fun to put my past, present and future into only one composition, at first I thought it was not going to work out. However, I decided to use the snow globe decoration as my main figure, and it all worked out. I enjoyed painting this artwork with different background colors.