A City Tech OpenLab ePortfolio

Social Media Sources

social media

https://twitter.com/EndChildPovNow

Tweets

Child abuse and neglect tend to be more likely to occur in low income households

Without help, poverty tends to be generational.

Stress caused by the conditions of living in poverty cause the child to develop anxiety

Families and children are classified as being in poverty based on income

In single mother households, the children are more likely to live in poverty

Public awareness will decrease the stigma against receiving mental health services.

There is a strong need for mental health services in urban areas with professionals who are culturally competent.

Depression, anxiety, and ADHA tend to have a major impact on children living in poverty.

Frequent exposure to crime, gang violence, drug exposure, and poor housing causes mental health issues of children in urban areas.

Approx.” 1 in 10 children and adolescents suffer from mental illness severe enough to cause some level of psychosocial dysfunction (Gonzalez

In 2009, the U.S. poverty rate increased from 14.3 to 15.1 (U.S. Census Bureau, 2009)

Child poverty results from low income household inability to provide these children with adequate living arrangements, food, and safety.

https://twitter.com/EndChildPovNow

For the social media component to the final project I chose to open a new twitter account and title it EndChildPoverty. With this social media source I aimed to reach out to a variety of people from all types of background. I expected to receive feedback from people with different options and views on the topic of child poverty and how it causes mental health illnesses in children.

I tweeted a new fact on twitter every couple of hours to inform the reader on the topic. I added a combination of statistics. Most of the tweets that I put out on the twitter were mostly on what mental illness does to these children and to raise public awareness. This was done to help reach out the public as a way to aid in the cause of ending poverty and preventing future children from developing mental illnesses caused by poverty.

My response record happened to be very low. I only received one follower for my topic. There are a number of reasons the response was so low. Many people are aware of poverty within countries around the world; however they do not realize or are blind that poverty occurs here in America as well.

I do hope to continue this page and hopefully overtime build a bigger response and educate people on the effects poverty has on a child’s mental health.