Yamile Bonifacio

Topics in graphic design

Anomaly

On May 16th 2017, the Spring 2017 topics in graphic design class went on a field trip to Anomaly ad agency. There was many things that I learned throughout my time at the Anomaly office in New York. Things that made me desire a position at that agency along with building my confidence on my own ability.

In my experience at anomaly I learned things that helped me when it comes to professionalism in this field. One thing I learned was Anomaly’s three fundamental pillars. The three pillars were to solve a problem for a company or a brand is the expertise, not being a company that has only one strong suit. Another pillar is to build clients by content or for work not time, and to create intellectual property. Which means that first, the agency must find out the problem the brand has and become the solution. Secondly, the agency charges due to the work content but the time it takes to complete the work. Lastly, the agency creates intellectual solutions for the brand.

One thing I learned was the three fundamental pillars. One pillar is  solving a problem for a brand is the expertise, not being a company that only focuses on one area such as only print jobs. The second pillar is to build clients by content or work and not time. Lastly, the third pillar is to create intellectual property. This means that the agency first figures out the issue, then they build clients based on the amount of work and not how long it will take. And finally they create significant solutions for the initial issue the company had.

Knowing what I know today about Anomaly makes me desire to pursue a position at that agency for a myriad of reasons. The position desired would be a creative designer. I enjoy contributing to the solutions, coming up with concepts however, what I Love more is creating the visual design. Also, I feel more confident by the examples I seen during the presentation. These companies I seen them design for builds my confidence because these are all things I have been taught and doing throughout my college career. Rebranding, logo design, Ad campaigns. All things I have done before, which makes me confident and  more comfortable and removes some pressure from the positions I would like to apply to in the days to come.

To conclude, the field trip to Anomaly was very helpful and I appreciate Ms. T giving us the opportunity to experience these Ad agencies and professional designers first hand. Not only to show us what it’s like in the real world, but to get us more comfortable answering questions and to prepare us for the future in our careers.

topics