On November 9th here at City tech there was a Meet the pros event. What distinguished this meet the pros from all the rest was the significance and acknowledgment of one of the guest speakers, Emily Perez along with many J.Walter Thompson employees.  During this meeting I was very inspired  in a myriad of ways which gives me hope and motivation in the career path I choose here at City Tech.

This Meet the pros was very special to me. Emily Perez, a city tech alumni, spoke on her journey after city tech to the position she is in now. This is significant to me because she currently works at a advertising agency called J. Walter Thompson.J.Walter Thompson is an very high end well known agency. Most of the time I get discouraged and unmotivated because most designers that Ive seen have good jobs usually come from School of Visual Arts, Pratt Institute, Fashion Institute of Technology etc. However, Emily Perez, is someone just like me. Came from same hispanics background in new york city, studying design in the same school and still made it.

Emily Perez, alone worked on Smirnoff, Puma, Campara Liquor, Summer stage and Walmart commercial to name a few. Emily started off in an internship program called MAIP. Through MAIP she learned advanced design esthetics and tips for the real world. This prepared her for her role at J. Walter Thompson and made her a grand inspiration to me. She taught me that design is simply problem solving and every problem always has an answer. And to always never take no for an answer.

Her colleagues Chris Phillips, Andrew Berardi, and Mo also taught me essential tips I will definitely take with me in life after college. Chris taught me that you can do big things and to never underestimate yourself. Andrew reminded me to be yourself because YOU are what differs you from other people and to use who you are to leave a memorable impression to employers. And last but not least Mo preached to have fun and give back and never stop learning, the more you learn about every position in design as much as possible and be knowledgable. Be positive, be productive and never take criticism personally.