Duplicate the menu

During the internship, I have learned not only about design but also how to handle other people’s work. My supervisor assigned me to take care of my co-worker’s work because she took a week off. This project was a duplicate menu for a restaurant called Bruno’s. My supervisor only has the pdf file for menu, however, she wants me to duplicate it so then we can make changes to the menu, for examples: price, dish est.

bruno's 1st avenue Oct 2013 11 x 17.qxd_Page_2bruno's 1st avenue Oct 2013 11 x 17.qxd_Page_1

Before I started being in charge of this project, my co-worker already finished the first part of the menu, but the menu has eight parts, which mean I had to do the other seven parts. I first looked up at the menu and think about how to fit the entire dishes in this 11’’X17’’ document with the half inch wide fold line. Because this menu has many dishes, but they wanted to keep it as a small take out menu; therefore I had to make the font size smaller and the leading smaller as well. First of all, I copy the text from the pdf file, and then adjusted all the name of the dishes as size 10pt as well as the leading, but the description of the dishes as size 9pt; as a result all the text could be fit on the pages. Second, I had to fix the image in the first part, which was the most difficult part of this project. When I was copying the image, I first open it in Photoshop then turn the color mode into cmyk, also set up as 300 high resolutions. But the image has the weird background, so I had to use the magic wand tool to select the area that I don’t want and delete it. However, the magic wand tool didn’t pick up the area cause of the unwanted background was gray color; therefore I had to use the lasso tool to draw the oval around the area that I wanted, then deleted the background.

Bruno's Menu Mavis Edit2Bruno's Menu Mavis Edit

This project was taking me 6hrs to finished. Because I wanted to made this menu exactly like the one of the pdf file, which my supervisor wanted it to be. After finished editing, I asked my supervisor to take a look, and she was very surprised and very happy that I only used a few hours to finished the menu. In addition, she loves the font size, leading and the most difficult part, which was the tabs. After finished this project, I learned many things, just like the menu even though it looks like very easy to do, but there has so many little detail that needs me to handle and fix it.