First Assignment

Software produced Audio and Translation
By Jason Goodman

During my first week as an intern for my company I was tasked with design application for their scholarship program. This being my first real assignment I put at the top of my list and began to work on it right away. At first I made the mistake of assuming with some of the directions I was given. The client wanted me to replace the black and gold colors of the application as well as the the square elements used in the design. Where I made my assumption was that the client only wanted the first three pages that had the square elements redesign. After I sent what I had in and asked if they wanted to make any changes I was told they wanted the entire application redesign. Thankfully this was still early on in the week where I still had plenty of time. to go back and redo the application.

This experience taught me two lessons starting with if I don’t fully understand the instructions i’m given I should speak up immediately get it clarified. This not only save me time from learning later on I did something wrong and needing to go back and change it. I get the assignment right the first this also helps my client had I waited later to do the assignment and this happened. The client would either have to pushed back the date of when they wanted to send out this application or try and make a make shift application that won’t get all the information they need. Not only wasting the company time but making it harder for those applying to receive aid from the company. To recap I learn speaking up and clarifying what i don’t understand needs to be done as soon as possible and communication is key if I didn’t take the time to send the assignment in earlier and learned of my mistake I wouldn’t have gotten the chance to fix it.

Phone interview

By Magnet Me

After the wave calamity Covid brought many things were changes in the world from personal lives to business and the country for one example interviews.

When I received the date of the interview I decided to do some research of the company before hand My professor was kind enough to give me link of the company to see their core values and what the company is about. I was Surprised to find out my interview would be over the phone I thought some time during the week I would have been told I would go to an office to talk to my supervisor face to face. But this makes sense ever since covid people would have need any to do interviews without a chance to catch covid so phone and online interview would become the meta. As for the interview my supervisor went over what the company does, what the company beliefs are and what is expected of us as designers.

From my what I was asked about any thoughts had I on on the interview the questions that came to mind were. What hours will we be working on as designers for the company and is they a set deadline for all assignments or do they vary? Would there be anytime that we would need to come to the company actual office for anything? The reason why I ask these questions was because I was trying to plan out my schedule to balance my internship with my other classes. As well keep track of when my internship assignments are do and my school work assignments for my other classes.

How I got my First Internship

By Andrew Neel

My start of my job search had me look thorough many different job sites such indeed, Expand the Room, Shillington, Bechance, And many others. I applied to jobs that were looking people still in college or people about to leave college I tried to find jobs specifically looking for people just starting out for the graphic design. To have the best chance to get the positions I applied for I tailored my cover page to catch the hiring manger interest and then leading into how my skills would benefit the company. I start my search a month before the semester started to get a head start and find an internship before the class started. But sadly my search didn’t go as well as I thought even with an online Portfolio none Job I applied for answered back.

I Believe where my plan fell apart was because I didn’t have my other platforms update to date my linkedin. Or maybe I should have taking the time to make a instagram for my work alone. Too had a better chance I believe I should have gotten more exposure to have found my internships better. My online portfolio and the cover were clearly not enough to have passed the first round of interviews. And having better exposure could have found me an internship easier if someone saw my work and reach out to me instead.