Ethics project 1B and 2B

In the case of the Fairey Copyright I see how deep a copyright can get when it comes to intellectual property. Mr. Fairey made art the was inspirational and help fight for ideals but even in that case he used images that where under fair use. And he had reproduce and edited the image without the original owner permission in the end no matter how you look at it he stole this property. And trying to make fakes images to cover his tracks was unhanded this means he knew he stole the work instead of it being an accident. The only reason why Mr. Fairey got off easy in this situation was because the clout he work gained. So when he talk it out with The Associated Press the could come terms with a deal for both parties. But for other designers who find themselves in this same situation my not get off as easily if their work is not as well know. This case only further the understanding of giving credit and listening to the guidelines of the original owner its way to protect yourself.

After Reading through the articles and some reflections I would say my perspective  has changed slightly. Some of the information in the articles I already knew to a degree from professors when taking their classes. But not as flesh out as how AIGA explained it now I know the full importance of giving the original owner credit. And my design work will definitely change to give credit to the own because I understand the dangerous of accidental or purposeful  stealing of someone else work.

My past design work has definitely has used free to use images but I didn’t give them credit before believing it’s fine because I never claim to own any of the images. But now that I know how important the credit is to the own I plan to say in the description where the extra images or design comes from if I use any.

Going forward with my career I plan on giving credit to the original owner of images to never have to go through same investigation. And I plan on being more aware of where I find my images as well the code of ethics for design to be careful when designing.

Sources

Hope Poster Case Study

AIGA Business Ethics Guide to Copyright

AIGA Business Ethics use of Photography