Noelia Lazo Media Share

For my intro I want to use the song “Silence” By Marshmello Ft. Khalid.

From what I knew this song was very popular for a month or so as most songs that come out from well know artist don’t always last long. I choose a song specifically because I’m a person who loves constantly listening but yet the music distances me from everyone thus becoming (as the song states) one with the silence. The irony in the song also intrigues me for saying “in one with the silence” while in a song used for the sole purpose of the silence. But then the thought crossed my mind that silence may not only be the absence of sound but also the state of simply being alone. There’s a saying of being alone in a crowded room and in the same sense someone can embrace silence in place filled with noise which leaves room for contradictory to the meaning of the words.

2 thoughts on “Noelia Lazo Media Share”

1. Noelia,
    These thoughts about the meanings of silence are so good–and thank you for sharing the Marshmello track. I love the thought that “silence” isn’t just about literal silence but also a metaphor for feeling alone. I think there’s another meaning to silence in the track, perhaps one having to do with not speaking up for oneself, which could also be explored if we were to probe deeper into Marshmello’s work or other examples.
    Your image of “silence in a crowded room” made me think of David Lynch; there are many “dream-like” scenes in his cinema that utilize this sort of effect. There’s also the musician/composer John Cage who wrote an amazing book on silence called… you guessed it, “Silence.” šŸ˜‰
    M

2. I like how you detailed the way you melt into the music and point out how you find silence (which I interpret as another word for ā€œpeaceā€) in the music because I can relate to that. Music for me is a way to process all the stuff going on in my mind in a way where I am ā€œaloneā€ but the music is there as my companion. I feel like that ability to get caught up in music is a really interesting thing that not enough people do, so knowing someone else finds solace in both music and silence is pretty cool.

I also like how you pointed out the irony of silence in a room of people, where you can transport yourself to a private world even though youā€™re surrounded by people, because thatā€™s something that I find myself thinking about whenever I watch movies or shows that contain scenes of people gathering. Have you ever felt like you could simply come in and out of your own thoughts in a social setting, and just switch between being in your thoughts and being in the moment? Iā€™m really interested in knowing.

Also, how do you think this can connect to your last point?: