Assignment 0: Syllabus Notes & Question

By the time we Zoom on Monday morning at 11a, I want you to carefully read our  course syllabus.  Be especially careful in reading the “Core Course Assignments & Grading Section” (from the bottom of p. 1 to the top of page 3).

After reading, write a response below (shared as a COMMENT), in which you

A) list at least 10 core course assignments and the % of the final grade for each, and…

B) pose 1 question you have about the syllabus, to be discussed in our Zoom call.

10 thoughts on “Assignment 0: Syllabus Notes & Question”

1. As an up coming freshmen my City Tech email is yet to be activated. I was told it wont be activated until the start of the semester in the fall. Is there another way to access open lab.

2. A) 10 core course assignments are:
    1. Mariame Kaba, “Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police…”
    2. Tracey Meares’ “Policing: A Public Good Gone Bad”? | Does Kaba (#1) accurately represent Meares’ views?
    3. Larry Elder, “Where’s Black Lives Matter When You Need Them?”
    4a. Bill McCarthy/PolitiFact, “Larry Elder Mislabels Stats on Fatal Shootings…”
    4b. Newsbusters.org, “PolitiFact Tags Black Conservative Larry Elder as ‘Mostly False,’ But He’s Not”
    5. James Baldwin, “A Report from Occupied Territory”
    6. J Scott Thompson, “As Camden’s police chief, I scrapped the force and started over. It worked.”
    7. Rep. Ken Buck, “First lockdowns, then riots – here’s how left’s hypocrisy added fuel to the fire”
    8. Open Letter Advocating for an Anti-Racist Public Health Response
    9. Dan Diamond, “Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance”
    10. Chelsea Janes. “Protests probably didn’t lead to coronavirus spikes, but it’s hard to know for sure”.

B) At this time I have no question.

1. Mumin,
      Nice Zooming with you earlier.

Here you’ve shared the 10 reading assignments but I want you to list the core course requirements (Zoom meetings, writing assignments, etc.) on pp. 1-3 of the syllabus. Please edit this post so that it reflects these assignments.
      Also, I know you can come up with a question!!!
      Thanks,
      M

3. a) word creative summaries 10 %
    revised responses 5 %
    persuasive essays 30 %
    essay feedback comments 10 %
    checkpoint exam #1 15%
    checkpoint exam#2 20%
    essay#1 15%
    essay#2 15%
    b) will we be able to make up work if we missed a couple of assignments ?

1. Sosaa,
      Thanks for your response–and nice to meet and speak with you earlier on Zoom.
      To answer your question, I’m fine to let you make up one assignment if you’re late with it but because this course goes by so fast, I can’t have you missing more than that. If you can’t finish an assignment on time, please e-mail me as soon as you can to let me know what’s going on.

As you mention in your post, the syllabus indicates that you are requred to revise 2 of these OpenLab assignments. If you want to revise this one, can you add due dates for several of these course assignments? Can you also add a bit of description to each item in your list? Lastly, you could add that attendance at the 3 Zoom meetings is mandatory.

Thanks,
      M

4. A) 5 creative summaries 10%
    2) 2 revised responses 15%
    3) 2 persuasive essays 30%
    4) essay feedback comments 10%
    5) midterm 15%
    6) final exam essay 20%

My question is can I submit work if I miss the deadline?

1. Crystal, hi.

Thanks for your question. I’m fine to let you make up one assignment if you’re late with it but because this course goes by so fast, I can’t have you missing more than that. If you can’t finish an assignment on time, please e-mail me as soon as you can to let me know what’s going on.

Regarding the syllabus: it indicates that you are required to revise 2 of these OpenLab assignments. If you want to revise this one, can you add due dates for several of these course assignments? Can you also add a bit of description to each item in your list? It’s hard to tell what each assignment is without more detail. Lastly, you could add that attendance at the 3 Zoom meetings is mandatory.

Thanks,
      M

5. *I couldnt edit my old post* **sorry**
    A) 5 (five) 100-150-word creative summarise 10%
    5 (five) 100-150-word written responses
    2 (two) revised responses 15%
    Essay feedback comments 10%
    2 (two) Persuasive Essays 30%
    #1: Midterm 15%
    #2: Final Exam Essay 20%

B) Will you give us extra work to boost our grades if needed?

1. Mumin,

Be sure you’re logged in when you try to edit your previous comments. If that doesn’t work, e-mail me please!

Regarding your syllabus notes: if you want to revise again, can you add due dates for several of these course assignments? Can you also add a bit of description to each item in your list? It’s hard to tell what each assignment is without more detail. Lastly, you could add that attendance at the 3 Zoom meetings is mandatory.

B) No extra work, but you’re required to revise two blog assignments for a re-grade!