Networking Event 1

In this networking event, I learned how to build a great portfolio.

The first thing that I learned was that a portfolio is forever whether it be a physical print portfolio on an online portfolio. So when you create one you should always keep improving it no matter what. You can create new content and projects and update your portfolio. Your resume and your portfolio isn’t the same. Your resume goes to human resources so make sure your portfolio shows who you are.

If you are not familiar with how to create and code your own website don’t try it out now because it will only make it more difficult for you the more you add. Stick you using a template website to make it easier on yourself and you can just worry about putting the time into creating a nice aesthetic.

When creating your portfolio just remember, its like going on a date, you want to make a great first impression. Your first page (the homepage) should say “This is who I am and this is what I want to do.” Ex. I am a designer… but I love illustration.

Have a great photographer take a picture of you, a photo that expressed you and also says you are ready to work.  Let’s say you don’t have a photographer to take you picture,  you can have a friend take a picture of you and edit a background that you like into the photo. Next is the about page. When creating an about page it should really be about you! For example, You can state your name, where you are from, where you graduated from or where you are attending school, your passions, things you like to do. Something that makes you different, something that makes you who you are. As a designer, what is it you would like someone that is going to hire you to know. What is your superpower?

Your portfolio should be a simple layout with a white background so it looks clean and organized. Put you best works first because sometimes all of your work will not get seen. Here are some examples.

PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS!!!

For example:

1. Spelling/ Grammar
  2. Bad typeface (no comic sans, brush script)
  3. Inconsistant design
  4. lack of aesthetic
  5. corny copy
  6. Understating(be proud of what you have done with out bragging)

A passion project is an excellent way to make you stand out above the ‘logical’ creative projects. Think out of the box, those are usually the best ideas!

Overall, I learned that your portfolio should be clean and something someone would enjoy looking through. If someone saw your portfolio what is different that makes yours special.