Field Trip Discussion Post

• SPIDER-MAN AND 12 VILLIANS 1989

The trip was actually really enjoyable since I kinda thought we were gonna stand in one place all day until the end of time. But it was a rather interesting find looking at all the award-winning Illustrations on display. But what caught my eye specifically was the Stan Lee section on the 3rd floor of the Museum. Sure I may not be a particular fan of Marvel anymore since I feel like it’s been oversaturated. But what really think stands out about it other than the actual artwork is the inking. I myself want to be a Manga Artist, so I would mostly work with ink and sometimes even color in my panels. Which working with color is a lot harder since I don’t have a full enough grasp of color shading with markers, pens, and other materials.

The specific piece I saw with Stan Lee (Writer) and John Romita Sr called “Spider-Man and 12 Villains” created in 1989. I particularly like the line and stroke difference in the cover. After doing some research on it I found out that Romita didn’t really want to draw Spider-Man, according to an excerpt from Comics Alliance.

The only reason I did Spider-Man was because Stan asked me and I felt that I should help out, like a good soldier. I never really felt comfortable on Spider-Man for years. I had felt at home immediately on Daredevil. On Spider-Man I felt obliged to ghost Ditko because — this may sound naive, but I was convinced, in my own mind, that he was going to come back in two or three issues… The only reason it wasn’t better was that I couldn’t ape him any better.

So it was a surprise to find out that this cover to that Spider-Man comic really only existed as a sense of a sense of helping a friend like Romita said, which I think is a nice sentiment.